Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bloom's Hot Exercise

Charonda O’Bryant-Hopkins
Computer Application/5541
Prof. J. Lerman
Bloom’s Hot Exercise
March 10, 2009

The Bloom’s Hot Exercise was very valuable and intuitive. It was a reflective exercise that made me evaluate my leadership style and my teaching style. I particularly enjoyed working in groups. Sometimes, working in groups can be a positive experience and sometimes it can be a nightmare. But in this case, my experience was positive and the members in my group worked collaboratively.
As an educator, primarily, I know the things I will be teaching ahead of time. But, what I don’t always know is how my students will comprehend what I’m teaching. So, this was the perfect exercise to evaluate how individuals interpret questions. This exercise made me perceptive on which questions were high order thinking questions and which ones were lower thinking ones. So, when another group had the opportunity to fine-tune our questions, it became ever clearer if my group’s questions were logical or ambiguous.
By the end of the exercise, I had a newfound appreciation for Bloom. Also, I had a better outlook about which approach I wanted to use when I asked my students questions. More importantly, I realized from this exercise that how one person interprets one thing, is not how another person interprets it. That’s why it’s so important to have good communication between all parties, so that everyone is clear and synchronized.

No comments:

Post a Comment